Eco-friendly house care is becoming a preoccupation for many homeowners today.
Harsh chemicals are not only a problem for the environment; they can also put your family’s health at risk.
At RetroTeck Window, we know windows in Vancouver—it’s what we do—and we want to share a thing or two about how best to keep your home windows in Vancouver clean and your family safe.
Did you know that common store-bought window cleaners contain ammonium hydroxide, hexoxyethanol, synthetic fragrance and propylene glycol?
- Ammonium hydroxide is known to cause respiratory and skin irritation and can be harmful to eyesight. It also causes aquatic toxicity.
- Synthetic fragrance can cause skin irritation, allergies and nervous system issues.
- Hexoxyethanol can negatively impact organs, while propylene glycol can cause kidney and liver damage.
- Asthma sufferers may be especially sensitive to conventional window cleaners.
But it’s not all doom and gloom! Call us at RetroTeck Window anytime to discuss alternatives. For starters, here’s one way you can eliminate toxic window cleaners in your Vancouver home:
- Buy a non-toxic window cleaner, or make your own. Conventional window cleaner has a tendency to leave a waxy build-up, so the first time you mix your own, combine ¼ tsp. eco-friendly dish detergent with ¼ cup white vinegar and 2 cups water in a spray bottle and use as you would conventional window cleaner. This mix will allow you to cut right through all the accumulated dirt and residue. Subsequent window washing can be done with a mix of 1 litre of warm water with 2 tsp. white vinegar.
- Use lint-free cloths. Instead of cleaning your windows with disposable paper towels that end up in the landfill, use microfiber cloth or clean old cotton T-shirts or cotton diapers. Some people use old newspaper, but you may find the ink turning your hands black and it may leave streaks.
- It’s all in the technique. Wipe up and down and/or side to side; a circular motion tends to leave streaks. If using a squeegee, go from one side of your home windows in Vancouver to the other without stopping, and wipe the squeegee edge dry after each pass. And don’t wash your windows in Vancouver in the direct sunlight! The extra heat dries the cleaner too fast and you will fight tooth and nail to avoid streaks.
At RetroTeck Window we care about the environment, both inside and outside your home. New home windows in Vancouver not only make your home more comfortable and save you money on your utility bill; they also lower your carbon footprint.